Wednesday, May 9, 2018

2018 Elections 2: Electric Boogaloo

The Candidates for our Special Election for Secretary are:
Jacob Linfesty (C'21)
Christopher Urffer (E'19)
Candace Morff (C'19)
Miriam Glickman (E'21)


its 3:37pm and 3/4 of the current 2018 Penn Band Board are getting ready for our Special Election.

Check out @PBDecides for humorous commentary on the election

Check out this blog for ~detailed~ notes on the election. Check out past election blogs too! Educate yourself!

3:42pm-"Do you think I can go to the bathroom in my onesie?"-Rendy

4:04pm-Rendy made a rogue (rouge) google doc blog. Not only is he wearing a squirrel onesie, he's also an imposter. #impeach

update it is a flying squirrel onesie

4:47pm, hats are out, couch is in place, we are ready

5:04pm-people are beginning to trickle in.

5:07pm-Adam is reading the rules. What rules? Today we have 4 candidates, to win you must receive 19 votes.

5:08pm Greer barely considers floor nominations.


Miriam is up first!
When she joined band, she didn't think that the Penn Band would be something she really came to alot. She has been listening to the Band spotify playlist and has read the band website lots of times. AS music manager, she has spent SO much time with the copier and realized how much we are all always willing to help. Why should you pick Miriam? She has lots of experience from being secretary of National Honors Society in high school and has experience with google spreadsheets and really wants you to pick her!

Jacob is up! He is also a freshmen. He's found a place here in the band. After, hanging out with the saxes one morning, we joked that we thought he was going to quit the band. Since then, he's really enjoyed being in the band. He really wants to give back to the band. He spoke to Zabryna and she said that the most important opinion is voicing your opinion. He is friends with the other three saxes on board (woohoo) and he thinks he can really voice his opinion well. He can also use excel!


Whoops sorry for the delay-had to run to our video of lovely Candace Morff who sent in a video because she is currently in Berlin!!


Urf thinks that immaculate attendance is extremely important. He has gone to EVERYTHING and went on ALL the roadtrips. He think he is the most qualified candidate for the position of secretary and has a "new level of mastery" from keeping track of the social budget. He has learned from his mentors the importance of book keeping. He does band study now, which means going through a HUGE AMOUNT OF TABS. He thinks its not that much more than his already high level of attendance. *and that is it, shuts laptop*

on to questions!

Renee will be calling Candace because she is in Germany. Greer has asked that we talk among ourselves.

5:21pm Jackie asked, if you talked to previous secretaries what was the biggest take away?
Urf: voice your opinion and management skills
Jacob: the big thing is being with three saxes, is he might need to disagree/agree with us
Miriam: it's a huge time commitment, its not hard, its just alot of work! Its a thankless job, but that's okay
Candace: She spoke with Zabryna, biggest take away being secretary isn't a joke and needs to be taken seriously. Its very important for how the band functions.


Jeanette asks, why are you running now instead of last semester?
Urf: Last semester, he didn't know his schedule before, now he does
Jacob: thought about running, but was worried about overlapping with going abroad, so he made a video about it!
Miriam: Realized it 2 months after elections, she realized she wanted to be on Board and started to talk to other Board members and realized its for her.
Candace: she didn't run last semester that she was going to be abroad.

John San Soucie asks "you are on Board, and you have to go to 3 athletics events in the same day, and our members have other things to do. We have to figure out who can/can't go, how to rely on alumni-how do you approach it?"

Jacob: consider what you can/cannot get to.
Candace: admits its a hard question-choose the event that is the most important. Depends on how many people are able to show up exactly.
Chris Urf: Prioritize the events where you have the most visibility and the most positive visibility. Push everyone to go to everything, but count on people you know are going to show up and push the important ones.
Miriam: Also agrees on visibility. Biggest thing that 3 events is impossible in one day and taking the event that's the least visibility.

Rendy: Me, Rendy and Aaron are all strongly opinated, how will you fit in us?

Jacob: it can be important for a leader, the new secretary doesn't need to have an opinion that super far out there. He thinks its valid sometimes to just support the other people.
Miriam: Is not the strongest opinionated person, but if she has one, she will say it. Sometimes it is more about listening. Follows her gut.
Candace: She was worried about it and talked to Zabryna. She is soft spoken at times, when she sees that people are really passionate she will let them shine. With band problems, it is important to see all sides of the issue and luckily she likes to be the devil's advocate.
Urf: He likes to think of himself as a mediator. He will shut down bad ideas right away.

Koosh-what is the band's purpose?
Urf: thinks we need to bring ENERGY to the campus and for other student groups on campus. We play at NSO! We do it to make people excited!
Jacob: 2 ways to look at it. Being in the band, its a place for us to have fun and its safe-that's the purpose for us. The second is what Urf said, its being at the games and standing!  "set the mood for the event"
Miriam: We are the heart and soul of spirit, people see us standing up and get excited with us.
Candace: Personally, the band's mission externally is promote school spirit on campus and represent the school. Internally, the mission is to create a family. Always keep in mind the organization of the school and obligation to perform at events.

Jenna-This is the most important job regarding attendance, how do your semesters look like next semester?
Jacob: Is also on board for Mock Trial.  He is coordinating all of the stuff now, but it could be a conflict but most of the work is before September. He thinks he has had good attendance.
Candace: She loves coming to all band events, there are unpredictable things that come up but with some extra planning she can come to more than she already does. She was going to botany from 12-5 on Fridays but now she might.
MiriamL is also in a sorority and in engineering so she takes 4-5 classes. Right now she only has 4.5 classes and her Fridays and Mondays are open!
Urf: I feel obligated to come to everything because he will be holding down the tuba section! He has class 12-4pm all day, that's it!

Renee asks, as former secretary things can get kinda boring. You send forms, emails, etc., what do you think you bring to board that's special?
Candace: She likes to think that she is funny and sees the best in things all the time. She likes to do the same thing over and over again .
Urf: He also does the same thing over and over again with band study. What he brings to board is different than the secretary position. He can convey the needs of the low brass, which is a very diverse position. He can do repetitive tasks really well (just crank up the music).
Miriam: She enjoys repetitive tasks and sees it as relaxing. Miriam is also perky and kinda funny. No matter what happens she can find a way to joke about it.
Jacob: Again he thinks bringing something to board is different than secretary. As a board member, he wants to work on bringing more freshmen to the band. He was only freshmen in the sax section and wants to work on getting specifically freshmen.


Melannie asks, if you don't get elected, will that change anything? For the other 2 freshmen, if you aren't elected will you run again in the fall?
Miriam: She will probably run in the fall and will continue as MM
Jacob: If he isn't elected, he will stay as sax sleader. Next fall, he feels passionately about recruiting freshmen. He does plan on running for board next semester
Urf: He plans on doing everything that he has been doing anyways. He wants to step up dry events in the social sphere.
Candace: She will continue to be LB SL and will miss it if elected.

Matt brings up the ALL SAX BOARD POTENTIAL.

Jacob: He says that past boards have been friends before and it should work. Also he will pledge to learn trumpet if he is elected just like David.

Matt what about getting feedback from other sections?
Jacob: He thinks that at Council meetings we can increase efficiency, and specifically talk about decisions that Board make. Make council meetings more about long term plans. Additionally, just overall getting more feedback.

Ben: list a strength and weakness of how you deal with stress.
Candace: Biggest weakness is that she ignores her stress which doesn't help her at all. When she does deal with it, she contains it within herself and doesn't ruin everyone else's day.
Urf: When Urf is stressed, he gets much more efficient and less goofy. Downside, he lets it build longer than he should.
Jacob: For strength, he stays on top of his work and rarely falls behind. When he does get behind, he just wants to do it his way which can be bad in small groups.
Miriam: As soon as she feels stress, she buckles down and does her work. Get started right away and does work.


CLOSING STATEMENTS:

Urf really wants to be secretary. He has the skills and attendance. He will enjoy it alot and be here either way.
Candace would do her absolute best. (oh no the phone cut out)
Jacob really has enjoyed this semester and being section leader. He wants to get even more involved!
Miriam really appreciated everything that has happened this year. She will get all of her work done!

5:50pm its time to vote! Woohoo

Greer denies Emily's request to have a second round of voting for Horse's Ass even though the first one wasn't band related.

Renee wants to start story time. She is telling a story.

5:57pm we have moved onto the second round of voting. The candidates remaining are:
Christopher Urffer
Candace Morff
Miriam Glickman

Congrats to Chris Urffer on becoming our new secretary!


Monday, November 27, 2017

Elections 2017: featuring NEW COLORFUL COMMENTARY!

5:33 PM: Renee realizes that she can't collaboratively edit a post. so ANARCHY!

5:34 PM: has renee been paying attention to the board meeting? arguable tbh.
renee thinks this is what being a lame duck president is like. except shes not president. so whelp.

5:36 PM: board discusses playing Saturday morning of fling. we're all going to join samba. GOOD LUCK WITH THIS MESS NEW BOARD

joshua echoes softly from the cheeseman. not softly. very, VERY loudly.
david: "haters will say its fake"

5:38 PM: renee sits down at the press table for the first time. her butt nestles comfortably into the shitty band room chairs. she feels like shes in a dream she didn't remember having.... shes... home at last.....

5:39 PM: JSS begins playing cantina band. this isn't BONEGIVING gosh darn it.

theres like 5 people in the band room rn. what a squad.
Greer: "guys.... stop" yes please. seconded.

5:41 PM: THE PRESS HATS ARE HERE. my head feels so comfortable. it was the uniform I was born to wear. 
emily decides to cut JSS out of the hat crew. thats what you get for hogging the twitter. I CAN'T BE TAMED.

5:42 PM: koosh - don't get too comfortable! we're going to clear the room and check you all in! wow we're so ~exclusive~

5:44 PM: koosh "when it came down, it came down. no fucking around, it was joshua" re coordination among old chops for playing joshua and not sounding "like shit". i'm calling bullshit, I love the echoes of joshua that emanate to through the band room on a daily basis. i'd call it music to my ears, but that might be a stretch.

5:47 PM: john mcgahay walks in with a slide whistle. this is what happens when you don't get good standing folks.

5:48 PM: ben takes a shitty picture of renee and emily in the hats. 

FOLLOR4FOLLOW @pbdecides. but this blog will better just sayin.
jss reminds jenna that the penn band is not her home. cruel.

5:50 PM: aaron walks in in a suit! SO H*CKIN DAPPER! suit updates: he has a purple tie. and a sick watch. red lining on the inside of the suit? his shoes are very shiny too.
jss is telling me about his sweet and sour chicken. i care so much.

5:56 PM: renee is mocked for taking a selfie. fair. jss is still in search of rendy's twitter.

5:51 PM: everyone is kicked out. SWEET SWEET SILENCE! hahaha jk that's a fuckin lie.

5:52 PM: renee is convinced no one is reading the blog. if you read this, give me a hug at the end and whisper "i care" softly into my ear

5:53 PM: ben misremembers lord glozions board position. so washed up.

5:56 PM: renee put the last comment in the wrong place whoops. ming says hes excited! i am too pal! miriam says she read 2 of the past years election, go you.

5:59 PM: jackson accuses me of not following him back on twitter. I DON'T HAVE A TWITTER I JUST HAVE A BLOG

6:00 PM: def not everyone is here. i can hear aaron explaining how we can (painfully) extend this election by dissenting every vote. how about..... no

6:01 PM: ming takes a staged photo of us blogging...... but all you behind the scenes readers will know I was ACTUALLY BLOGGING DURING IT MUAHAHAHA

6:01 PM: emily is nervous, so renee volunteers as the voice of the people. 
cathy to john "are you running for something?" john: "no!"
nick corona has a new haircut (i think). if you're reading this confirm or deny. or maybe i just didn't see you for a few days, if so sorry pal.

6:03 PM: the line at the door is LORGE! it's almost as big as my dog.
more fashion commentary: i like ana's poncho.
koosh asks who doesn't have a ballot. board dissents. he SHUNS us. rude.
nick cru gives me a donut. ily

6:05 PM nick cru "this has the potential to be quick" wouldn't that be nice, but I believe in the band's power of shenanigans.

6:07 PM: whoever said the press was dying in america was a damn fool.

6:09 PM: nice.

but actually laura begins announcement.

YAY CHRISTMAS VILLAGE SIGN UP FOR THE FORM! YAY SECRET SNOWFLAKE! but like actually go. 
emily whispers "last job as treasurer"
emma hypes the fanfare event. also a good cause! candace is dying of laughter. GIRL LISTEN!!!!!

laura hypes council. emily and renee WOOOOOO. it was very dissonant, nick cru says it was a perfect tritone. i have no idea what that means.
open council meeting december fourth. be there or be square!

richard announces shake shack quizzo. NICE. social calendar! good things! 

6:13 PM: greer asks if theres any questions. richard: "any ducks?"
greer: "laura what do you do" laura: "everything?" she said other stuff but i didn't hear cuz it was too quiet. 

olivia makes a sassy comment abut not being able to make nominations from the floor cuz we're sitting. 

emily's speech begins!
serving as treasurer was an honor. 
she got to know herself and many other people better!
she realized she wanted a board position after the 2016 election (not band). cheesy bread followed. band rom was a happy place! 
emily is here way more than she probably should be (tru)
her goal is to make everyone feel safe! she's also bought an unhealthy amount of oreos (is that safe though?)
previous pres have promised to open up communication, she will too. "band is family"
but also, "it's just band" and "band is a safe place"
games are important, but she's been humbled as well. work together as a family, and we can be better! 
top down - happier board, happier band. sounds corny, but tru.

YAY EMILY GREAT SPEECH! <3

questions now! 
laura: she wants to know your strategy for approaching her duties and fulfilling her vision.
emily..... so your question is what am i going to do as president?
laura: no, how are you going to lean on other leadership bodies.
emily: she already works with a lot of council positions. 

jackie: did you talk to previous presidents?
emily: yes! and she learned how to control burnout. 

ben: you will get a lot of complaints. 
emily: yup I already do. she can tell the difference between friends complaining and real issues. she will continue to work on it. 

jss: how to pick bandos for a plane. how to handle uncertainty?
emily: service, instrumentation, and seniority. we spent a while doing this for LA! 

renee asks an easy question which is apparently not easy.
emily says the cheesy bread thing again! 

emily is acclaimed. greer: "i guess you're it!"

greer: "john, what do you do!" emily immediately takes over the twitter. 
jss: " to the greater penn community, the vp is the most important position." board worries about a lot of things, ie. making sure ppl get fed. but the shows!!!!!

cathy nominates hannah and then immediately rescinds it.

aaron speaks! jackie yells how sharp he is. HE HITS THE DAB!
jackson: "have my babies"

aaron wonders what words will be moving enough for acclimation. he quotes squidward. GOOOOOOOOOOOOD. 
he references the japanese word for grits and im sad i missed it. 
he wants us to pretend he's a fireman. 

emily gives him a standing ovation. 

jackie: did u talk to previous vps
aaron: no but he lives in the same house.

he wont tell us his favorite joke. or his worst joke. 
jk there's a knock knock joke and its real bad. 

olivia: favorite nic cage character?
aaron: con air. right answer.

jss has a real question. what are you gonna do to improve the band when it's not football season?
aaron: working with the rest of board. 

emily: who is our audience
aaron: we can't control that.

renee: how will you handle being censored?
aaron: we've already had to do that, but you can write funny shows that are appropriate.

spencer: will you ever do the triangle show again
I DIDN'T HEAR HIS ANSWER

jenna: how to communicate well with DMs.
aaron: having the DMs there is important! shoutout to richard. and starting in advance. 

richard: asks if aaron will try to slide into the dms.
aaron silently shakes his head in disgust.

aaron is acclaimed! YAY AARON!!!!! greer: "you're stuck with it"

next is treasurer! you write a long budget for sac. they sometimes give you money. then semi. then uniforms and dues and more. need to be meticulous and willing to do work on your own.

aaron gives a shoutout to rendall. ryan is nominated but denies.

rendy speaks! hsssssss
"its great to see everyone back from break" aaron "you too"
band has had a big impact on rendy's life. like meeting AJ? 
he joined has a sophomore, he THINKS jk knows that its a group he could love.
he wants to be treasurer because he loves money. #wharton. the crowd hisses. he eats money, only snacks on it. he cried in second grade when he found out money trees aren't real and this is motivating his speech.
he's willing to work dilligently!

jackie asks the same question
rendy says that talking to emily helped a lot. 

emily talks about having those tough conversations. how will you handle that? 
rendy says establishing trust in board is important. 

ben: name 5 freshman that aren't in your section
rendy: he does i think?

renee: what made you change your mind?
rendy: talking to emily and koosh! you have more leeway with your schedule.

candace: who would take your place
rendy: that's a depressing question

aaron: isn't the real treasure the friendships we made along the way.

david asks about band pants. emily assures that you do. but actually how do you make sure people get uniforms that fit.
rendy wil work on it.

rendy has experience working with SAC and friends on there! nice.

olivia wonders how rendy will do being cold blooded at band events in the winter.

ben: give an example of accepting when everyone else is wrong but implementing it
rendy: when people say taylor swift sucks!

ming: how to keep people who find paying dues atypical.
rendy: don't single anyone out, establish trust. seem approachable. 

we seem to have acclaimed. opposed? a small hiss.

renee does things ! she was almost forgotten.

zabryna's video plays. 
apparently both her and rendy didn't want to join band as freshman. WOW.
she does things like CAs and sleader.
she thinks that the technical stuff of being secretary is less important than contributing your voice on board - as secretary some concern its literally all technical.

jackie: have you talked to previous people.
zabryna: she talked to me. 

max: where are you
zabryna: buenos aires!

ben: how are you going to adjust to getting back into board.
zabryna: shes got time to prep! 

laura: notes that everyone else is a sax.
WAIT WHAT
how will you deal with that and make sure everyone else is heard
zabryna: she lives with them so shes experienced! 

renee: name 5 freshman who aren't in your section
jk: what's your plan for getting to know everyone when you get back?
zabryna says shes friendly! say hi!

emily asks about also being DM and the relationship board should have with conduct.
zabryna: she thinks that she could add a new perspective on board

nick: have you considered becoming a sax
zabryna nopes the fuck out.

jss: everyone in band has a unique perspective. what's the bands mission?
zabryna: foster a community of individuals and make it a space for people who want to be here casually too! within penn, we want to represent the penn community. 

ben: scotts middle name?
greer: good question, not fair.

jeanette: how will you deal with half of board living together? aka compartmentalization.
zabryna: emily and her wouldn't take things home. 

we done. she's acclaimed! ya did it zabryna!!!!!!

renee announces her exhibit. come see it! you'll hear about it again!
emilys giving wristbands so if you're not 21 you can come. candace: "sounds like our president"
jenna: CA auditions are in 2 weeks. 
cathy: globemed sweater sale!!!!
nik: drumline game of assassin! they have become too close and want no more friendship. it's for operation santa claus. i can't get more kids but i can get more money (HSSSSSS)

candace wants to know if we can interview him like board elections.
there's a real time google doc apparently. 

nick cru: he swing dances! who knew! be louder than sig nu! beta alpha nu delta rules.
steven: jazz combos is also next thursday! food again. 

HORSES ASS ENSUES!

wonder who it will be. 
scott what's the difference? he shrugs.

greer says some history stuff. who cares. basically its for something notorious
emily nominates ben, shocker. renee nominates adam.

aaron nominates the cornell bando who pulls the fire alarm. nick cru also 
jss nominates the chop section for joshuaing band march
richard nominates the mellophone section.
hannah nominates cumb.
kyle nominates trevor and emily for stealing the hillel sign

greer will count these votes eventually. your options are ben, adam, chops, mellos, and emily/trevor.
jss you can say its for anti-semitism. emily- i love jews!

WELL THATS AN ODD NOTE TO END THIS BLOG ON.

john mcgahay slide whistles us out. amazing. 













Elections 2017

3:56:37pm: Testing testing-how the hell does this blog work?
Anyways testing testing because the Penn Band will decide its 4 newest Bored members in just 2 hours and 3 minutes!

4:55:47pm-we have figured out how to properly use this. Go Old Board!

5:27pm Renee Lynn Hastings is about to configure her account for "Blogger". Get ready for the junior board trio to rock this blog <3

JK WE CANNOT HAVE THE MULTIPLE PEOPLE EDITING SO RENEE AND I WILL HAVE SEPERATE BLOGS GET HYPED

we love each other

shoutout to JSS who won't relinquish the PBdecides twitter so we are restricted to this "antiquated" blog

5:36pm my last board meeting as treasurer is winding down. I am not sure what is happening. I want chinese food tbh

Jeanette Freeman and I did a joint blog last year about about our ice cream diet. it was pretty lit.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-Ddt3Meq1zNzTd_W9ZLCiLS9ytkcUcbQHuOwz50xYlA/edit

5:59pm hello friends I am back, Koosh just yelled at me over canned foods, the room is starting to fill up with bandos. The ballot theme this year is "Disney Characters"-no this was not my idea but instead our lovely President-Laura Kuder.

6:01pm
Renee: all of my thoughts are on the internet
Emily: I can't because I am nervous
Renee: It's okay I will be the voice of the people.

Overhears Cathy asking John M. if he is running for anything....John denies but stay tuned for what John will do later in the night....

6:03pm
Literally half of the room is eating chinese food, and I am hungry. Someone send help, or chinese food.
Confirmed sighting: John M. has a slide whistle

6:04pm: Koosh has yelled at the Press Board group for not having ballots. Koosh we need to inform the people and be voting members. Give us a break

6:05pm
Scott: Fuck off
#FourTimesForHorsesAss ?

6:06:45pm JSS did not mention me on @PBDecides for blogging credit. I am hurt.


6:10pm AND WE ARE FINALLY STARTING GET HYPED!
Laura is talking about announcements for the week-nice!

6:13pm Greer gets up to speak, there are rules....
Laura is telling the band what she does
Laura: "everything"
YIKES
She doesn't have specific jobs,, she does lots of emails and stuff


Hey hey Hey Emily is back

Emily is your 2017-2018 President by acclimation 


6:29pm Aaron is speaking now
Squidward ...something about firemen and WHAT IT MEANS TO BE IN A MARCHING BAND. "anyone can find our purpose or what that Japanese word for grit means"
Aaron wants to come remotely close ....Aaron wants us to think of him as a firemen

Jackie: have you met with a past VP?
Aaron: No but I live with him

Hannah: tell us your best joke
Aaaron: Weell its the aristocrats and it has a lot of curse words so I can't

Olive: Fav Nick Cage character?
Aaron: something from Con Air

JSS: He has the real question....you don't do much except write shows, what are you going to do within those 8 months?
Aaron: A big part was "being there when board can't".

Emily: Who is our audience?
Aaron: We don't know because we don't know we can buy a ticket to our game. We have such a presence so its really the entire community.

Renee: There's a discrepancy between what we think is funny and then what we can say. What are you going to do if we write something great and then it gets shot down?
Aaron: It's definitely happened in the past (this year with Brown) so its definitely possible to rewrite that quickly. We just gotta work to gather

Jenna: Working with DM....how will he be the best at communicating ?
Aaron: Having the DMs there from the beginning. Shoutout to Richard who comes to Showriting!

Greer-okay we are done. Jk okay Richard?

Richard: We have 3 Dm's are you ever going to try to slide into us?
CROWD BOOS GO HOME DICK DINAPPS GENTLEMEN CALLER

Again we can vote or acclaim....
We acclaim Aaron!

Aaron Mittleman is our new Vice President

Treasurer:
Candidates=Rendy 
Emily talks about the importance of bookkeeping as treasurer.

Melanie nominates Ryan, Ryan declines.

Rendy gets up to speak
6:34pm
Rendy realized today that the Penn Band has meant so much to me. Band was important to him in high school but its a lot different here. That's why he didn't join until his sophomore year. Once he joined he realized that it could grow to be a group he loves-and it has (yay us). He is running because he wants to continue the hard work that Emily did and he really loves money. He dreams and eats money.....(Emily is freaking out). He made a money tree in second grade and cried when dollar bills didn't grow from it. He thinks he is pretty good at asking people for money. He has compared himself to Mona from Parks and Rec (Note: The Office is much better). On a serious note: he is willing to work really hard for us.

Jackie: Has he talked to previous treasurers?
Rendy: Yeah I talked to Emily and we talked about the time commitment

Emily: This year especially has good for helping people with dues/semi. How are you going to have those conversations and establish privacy?
Rendy: Establishing trust-we need to be private and that only Rendy will know about it!

Ben: Name 5 freshmen not in your section
Rendy: Ryan, Kevin, Saloni, Matt F., Melannie Jay

Renee: We are both biochem #goyouguys! How are you going to balance school and dental school interviews?
Rendy: Again he spoke to Em and has gone over the time commitment with him.

David: Band pants disaster-he never had band pants that didn't fit well and he just got better ones!
Rendy: I'm pretty organized and I will do my best

Cathy: do you have any experience with working with SAC?
Rendy: Yep I have with other groups. I also have friends on SAC

Olivia: I know that snakes are cold blooded-how are you going to work through coming to band in the winter?
Rendy declines to answer

Ben: Sometimes on Board you guys make decisions that you might not agree with. What will you do if that happens? Or okay give an example?
Rendy: I mean everyone thinks taylor swift sucks and I don't


Okay voting by acclimation.

Rendy Fernandez is our new Treasurer! 

Secretary
Ben nominates Spencer Fox
Spencer: FUCK NO

Only nominee is Zabryna who is oversees...no one is nominated

Greer forgot to ask Renee what she did
Renee-writes lots of emails, links that no one clicks and SHE WORKS WITH EVERYONE

Ben: RENEE-do you take attendance?
Renee: shit yeah I do

6:43pm
Video of Zabs plays

She misses making chaos and noise (they are the same?)
She is introducing herself from across the globe.
She wriggles into band pants that don't fit.
She was sleader of the mighty chop section and that she was also CA.
She feels that technical skills are the least important: ITS ALL ABOUT FAMILY. we need to propel the band forward.

LAURA IS CALLING HER TO TAKE QUESTIONS
6:46pm
Jackie: Did you talk to previous secretaries?
Zabs: She spoke to Renee and explained her duties and roles-what was most challenging and sustaining communication?

Max: Where are you?
Zabs: Argentina!

Jackson: Why is the file name Zabs
Zabs: ask emily

Ben: Coming back from abroad isn't always easy...coming to board might not be easy?
Zabs: She was challenged in other ways and is mentally ready to tackle Penn!!!!!!

Laura: So the rest of the board members are all SAXES!!!!!! will that be a problem ?
Zabs: I have experience with them: I LIVE WITH TWO OF THEM (yay Candace and em)
She will speak to other sections

Renee: NAME 5 PEOPLE WHO ARENT IN YOUR SECTION
Actualy question: one of the most important things was taking attendance and knowing EVERYONE!!!!! how will you get to know everyone?
Zabs: I'm real social and can go out and say hi ! Feel free to say hi.


Emily: How do you feel about DM & board? Are you gonna do both?
Zabs: She wants to audition for DM in the future and she wants to maintain both. Board and DM have different duties.

Nick: Have you considered becoming a saxophone?
Zabs: she is true and true brass!!!!

JSS: everyone in the band has a unique perspective and as an organization we have to think what we want to focus on. What is our mission?
Z: Band's purpose is to foster a community of individuals. Within the band itself so everyone feels included and make band a family (take a shot) and also so people can just play music! Broader...within Penn represent Penn community so you don't get swooped up and actively showing the Pride and love of Penn.

6:51pm

Ben: What is Scott's middle name?
Zabs: I don't know......

Greer: trick question not fair

Jeanette: HI ZABRYNA....you talked about potential of DM and Board...can you compartmentalize? You would have half of board living together?
Z: being able to separate board duties and living together with Em?
Em and I would have a good understand and not to take things outside. This is our duty its not personal ever.

6:53pm
Ben motions to acclaim

Zabryna is our new secretary! 


Back to announcements!!!

come to Renee's exhibit on Wednesday at 5:30pm!
(come support her she is great and there will be food and wine!)


CA AUDITIONS WILL BE TWO WEEKS FROM TODAY

Emily announces musical bingo at Tap House...she is give out wristbands for the extended Happy Hour (GREERMUFFS).


6:58pm we have one more important vote: its for Horse's ass NOT an asshole-whats the difference Scott?
Scott: Ehhhh???

Scott has won it three times
Greer has twice

its for services that are "untorn"

7:00pm
It all started from AJ who tackled some guy....

Emily nominates Ben Parker for replying all to 20,000 people
Greer rejects this because it wasn't band related

Renee nominates Adam for not locking the listserv

Emily nominates the chops for the freaking fight on stinger
JSS nominates the chops for playing Joshua
Nick nominates the mellos for succeeding
Kyle last minute nominates Emily and Trevor for stealing the Hillel sign from Brown.....

options are:
Ben
Adam
The chops
Mello
Emily & Trevor for the sign


Monday, November 28, 2016

Elections 2016

Ben and Spencer here. It's 6:15 and the calls of "Magic! Magic!" have died down. The hall murmurs in anticipation.

6:15 and Bandos are planning an impeachment. Greer wants to start, begging calls of magic again. Spencer is back from the bathroom.

Ben is now talking about what he does *hint* basically nothing. He claims that it's mostly handling curveballs but no one knows what a curveball is. Ben explains that it's like regular ball but not straight.

(Spencer is projecting.)

Laura is talking. This is her 117th week in the Penn Band. One of the best things is that there's a place for everyone. We're one of the most diverse, welcoming places at Penn and there is no "typical" bando. She loved being on Board as treasurer, working with a lot of people but with some independent responsibilities. Anything important to band is important to her as well. She wants to work closer with Council, to help them grow in their positions, to thrive. The Band would be lost without council. Diversity is a blessing and a curse, and Laura will never let opinions go unheard. She wants to be accessible to the whole band.

We don't really know to run this blog thing. Help please.

Richard now. Richard is running to be your president, not just board and not just council. What does it mean to have a Penn Band experience? The heart of what we are is community -- literally anyone can come here and make music. We're a family. It's a cliche, but it's true, from Greer to freshmen to alumni's kids. This band is a home, a place not to worry about school or work, but a place to make music with people who care about you. He loves us, all of us. Even Travis. His intention is to devote all of his time to band, and he hopes we'll give him the chance to do that: not just to lead, but to provide and push.

Question Time

Matthew asks how you are going to manage your time.

Laura says that she has learned a lot when she was in leadership about that- sometimes you have to put band first. She's learned how to manage her time as Treasurer, like when budgets are due. It's not easy but she'll make time.

Richard says he spends most of his time here- last semester his attendance was around 91%. He's going to miss things for sure just like everyone but he wants to assure everyone that it's a priority.

Ben has a question. As president you get a lot of feedback from people and sometimes it's useful. Other times, people just need to blow off steam. How do you tell the difference between both types of criticism.

Richard says that you need to take a step back. Where is it coming from? What's the context, is it at a party? Maybe wait a little bit to think about it and work through it deliberately, don't make snap judgements.

Laura - It's important to know that sometimes things that are destructive could come from a valid point. You have to ask the question where did that comment come from? You have the ongoing support of the rest of board to work through everything you have to face.

Jeanette has a Q- both of you have been involved in conducting. How do you think that board and DMs should interact? How will the positions interact if they're the same person?

Richard thinks that they are separate entities for a reason. Board deals with philosophical issues while DMs deal with performances. If they're the same person it could be difficult to divide the two responsibilities. Although he also says it wouldn't be the worst thing if someone did both of them.

Laura wants to see more of a dialogue between board and DMs. There were some instances this past year where more communication would have been helpful.

Renee has a Q - What's your number one goal for this next year and how will you get there?

Laura's most important thing is being accessible to everyone. Checking in with council to see what they need but also to maybe have office hours. She doesn't want board to be secretive at all. There's a lot of issues with transparency sometimes and she wants to clear that up as best as she can.

Richard wants to cultivate the culture of the band. This should be a place where people want to spend their time. He wants to reach out and try and figure out why people want to come to band. Make a concerted effort to reach out to individuals.

Jenna's Q - How would you integrate the opinions of council at large?

Richard - He wants to be more upfront with the band about board meetings and other meetings like council meetings. Let people know what's being talked about.

Laura - We have made use of polling the band for some serious questions like what events we should go to. Council helps out with that because more people can be brought into the conversation.

Molly's Q - Diversity in the band. How do you get the input from people that aren't as confident speaking up?

Laura - People shouldn't be afraid speaking up about. It's important to identify those personalities so that you can be more approachable.

Richard - One thing to do is be present. Section leaders are always present so some people that are quiet could reach out to the SLs who would then reach out to the Board.

Jimin's Q - What do you do if people express discomfort with Band traditions?

Richard - Traditions are important, but if people feel uncomfortable they should be made to feel welcome. No participation in traditions is a prerequisite for membership.

Laura - Nothing should be forced, everything is voluntary. That includes attendance, outside events, traditions. We want to do whatever we can to accommodate them on a case-by-case basis. It depends on the origin of the discomfort.

Richard closing statement: He'll do everything he can to make this a welcoming, fun place where we can feel comfortable, loved, and appreciated.

Laura's closing statement: It's the friends and connections we'll remember most. She has the experience to make Band a place people will love coming to.

Ben goes to help Adam count votes.

Koosh petitions people to buy coffee mugs. They're $20 and the proceeds benefit everyone in this room. HE SAYS HE'LL AUTOGRAPH ONE!

If you're a new member, we need to get the sweaters back since the new ones were v-necks.

Thirdly, we're selling penn band bumper stickers. You can put them on your computer!

--------

The next president is Laura! Results are in!

------

Aaron Mittleman is nominated for VP.

What did JSS do as VP. You run Zoo Animal Elections, you write field shows, and you run PB decides twitter during elections.

The Twitter account @PBDecides has experienced a coup. Further bulletins as events warrant.

JSS is talking now. In iambic pentameter and rhyme. Not sure how many people can appreciate this. The iambs are falling apart a little... NO it's back. Sort of. Oh no, what rhymes with pitch? Crisis avoided, rhyme maintained.

Aaron is talking: Since he got here, we're the only people he's liked at all. He's been to show writing. He has a beard. What else do you need? Vote for him... if you want. Much laughter.

Questions now.

Spencer's Q - tell me a joke:

Aaron: Knock knock... Abraham Lincoln... You've never heard of Abe Lincoln?

JSS: A woman finds an empty seat in the front row of the Super Bowl. The old man says his wife used to come with him, but she died. The woman asks, no friends or family could come? No, they're all at the funeral. Lot's of reactions.

Koosh's Q - Who's our audience? (People don't realize this is a really old question.)

JSS - We've talked about this a lot. We want people to laugh, even opposing fans. All the censors.

Aaron - Obviously people show up for more than just the band, believe it or not.

Nick's Q - JSS why not run for Pres? Aaron, why wait for floor nomination?

Aaron - I have time.

JSS - I want to help Laura.

Kyle's Q - How to get more people to show up to show writing?

JSS - Free food! Just kidding. Maybe more virtual show writing? But he wants more voices and more people involved.

Aaron - Free food. Talking to the band, showing them bad shows as a warning. Once people come once they're hooked.

Max's Q - What if you're as creative as a cinder block?

JSS - I can speak from personal experience, but what's important isn't people contributing the funniest joke. It's more 40 mins of sifting through the bad stuff to find the gold. We shouldn't promote Communism. So we need people to shoot some stuff down.

Aaron - Cinder blocks are creative, can make many things. Other than that, agree with JSS.

Renee's Q - Legs are wolves question. Classic @DKJ.

JSS - I would get Anna to take my midterm.

Aaron - Poke them with a stick.

Aaron's closing statement: I was put on the spot, but I love you guys.

JSS's closing statement: It's been an honor being VP for the past year; it's the only time people pay attention to us. I would be honored to do this again.

JSS is the next Vice President!

Next position is Treasurer. Anyone else being nominated? Richard was nominated but he declined.

Nick is going to give the speech for Emily since she's in a midterm.

"I'm not a great musician" Nick clarifies that Emily was the one who wrote that. Emily loved first rehearsal even though she didn't play an instrument for a while. Emily LOOOOOOOVES doing band things. She will never ever fall asleep during frozen again.

Emily is the next treasurer!

Spencer says what he did: attendance, google forms, google docs, spreadsheets, emails. It's exciting. Thrilling.

Richard accepts a floor nomination. Aaron is nominated: "I guess so." I (Ben) was nominated, but HELL NO. Renee accepts a nomination. We now have 3 candidates: Richard, Renee, and Aaron. Spencer forcefully and disrespectfully declines.

Renee's speech: Hi, everyone, she's Renee! Why did she accept a floor nomination? She came to the conclusion last-minute that Board is a time commitment she wants to make. She's done some priority shuffling and Band came out on top. Cough -- sorry, she's sick. As EM she already has experience keeping track of things. She'd also pick good memes for emails.

Questions:

Spencer's Q - name 6 freshmen not in your section.

Aaron - Dominique, Martina, Connor, Madeline... um...

Richard -- Max, Connor, Aaron, Trevor, McKay, Sean.

Renee - She also named a bunch of people but I can't type this fast. Lots of repeats.

Derek's Q - How do you think you'd work with the rest of the board?

Richard - Nobody I don't like; I think we'd work well together.

Renee - I know everyone on Board too, and I spend time with all three. Plus, I know how to communicate with all three and we'd have a good group dynamic.

Aaron - I know these people as well as I know any other bandos and I'd try not to step on toes.

JSS's Q - How have Council positions influenced you? Aaron, how about your general band experiences?

Aaron - I've spent enough time that I know how things work, and I'm willing to learn.

Richard - From being ADM, my goal with Council would be to make things more transparent. More can be done to make better informed decisions.

Renee - being on Council has taught her about how the band organization works and what each group wants from the others - council, board, conduct, the whole band.

Anna's Q - Most of secretary is being present at events to take attendance. What does your schedule look like?

Renee - My biggest conflict is biochem major, but I'm good at managing time and planning ahead. I've made band a priority.

Aaron - I'm taking 5 credits next semester but they're all intro level classes. I'm mostly involved in Band, not other things.

Richard - I schedule myself around Band. I'm only focused on major requirements.

Renee's closing statement: Thanks for listening. I think I'd do a good job, organized, clear and concise.

Aaron's closing statements: I took floor nominations because I want to serve Band as much as I can. I will rise to the office.

Richard's closing statement: He wants to put everything he has into band: time commitments, attendance, google forms. Always.

7:30 now, and Spencer has gone to help count votes. The band is growing restless. Usually we're done by now, and Every Every has been played.

Greer is introducing Horse's Ass. Shout out to @F. Scott. Nominations from the floor.

Jackie nominated Joe for using PB Social as his personal Tinder.

Nick nominated the CUMB.

Someone nominated Princeton Band's outgoing President, Sweetheart.

Jeanette nominates her dad for turning 50 again. #PFree

Nick nominated Urffer for making his own water.

Nick nominates Jeanette and Emily for the stupid ice cream thing. #Wedon'tshoutoutcompetingblogs.

Did I just get impeached? Who knows? How many do we need? Who cares, IMPEACH?

Thomas? Maybe. No. But seriously.

JSS nominated Emily for sleeping through Frozen on the bus. Greer refuses to acknowledge.

Anna nominates the popcorn maker. @Joey we should have bought the Great Northern.

Jeanette nominates Scott for screaming "Burn!" just now.

Sean nominates -- drowned out in the din.

We're voting on the Drexel Dragon amid chants of Amy Gutmann.

Update: They got more than 67% to impeach me. By exactly 2%. I don't think Derek could be more proud. I've given him my keys. I'm out, people.

Elections 2016

Ben and Spencer here. It's 6:15 and the calls of "Magic! Magic!" have died down. The hall murmurs in anticipation.

6:15 and Bandos are planning an impeachment. Greer wants to start, begging calls of magic again. Spencer is back from the bathroom.

Ben is now talking about what he does *hint* basically nothing. He claims that it's mostly handling curveballs but no one knows what a curveball is. Ben explains that it's like regular ball but not straight.

(Spencer is projecting.)

Laura is talking. This is her 117th week in the Penn Band. One of the best things is that there's a place for everyone. We're one of the most diverse, welcoming places at Penn and there is no "typical" bando. She loved being on Board as treasurer, working with a lot of people but with some independent responsibilities. Anything important to band is important to her as well. She wants to work closer with Council, to help them grow in their positions, to thrive. The Band would be lost without council. Diversity is a blessing and a curse, and Laura will never let opinions go unheard. She wants to be accessible to the whole band.

We don't really know to run this blog thing. Help please.

Richard now. Richard is running to be your president, not just board and not just council. What does it mean to have a Penn Band experience? The heart of what we are is community -- literally anyone can come here and make music. We're a family. It's a cliche, but it's true, from Greer to freshmen to alumni's kids. This band is a home, a place not to worry about school or work, but a place to make music with people who care about you. He loves us, all of us. Even Travis. His intention is to devote all of his time to band, and he hopes we'll give him the chance to do that: not just to lead, but to provide and push.

Question Time

Matthew asks how you are going to manage your time.

Laura says that she has learned a lot when she was in leadership about that- sometimes you have to put band first. She's learned how to manage her time as Treasurer, like when budgets are due. It's not easy but she'll make time.

Richard says he spends most of his time here- last semester his attendance was around 91%. He's going to miss things for sure just like everyone but he wants to assure everyone that it's a priority.

Ben has a question. As president you get a lot of feedback from people and sometimes it's useful. Other times, people just need to blow off steam. How do you tell the difference between both types of criticism.

Richard says that you need to take a step back. Where is it coming from? What's the context, is it at a party? Maybe wait a little bit to think about it and work through it deliberately, don't make snap judgements.

Laura - It's important to know that sometimes things that are destructive could come from a valid point. You have to ask the question where did that comment come from? You have the ongoing support of the rest of board to work through everything you have to face.

Jeanette has a Q- both of you have been involved in conducting. How do you think that board and DMs should interact? How will the positions interact if they're the same person?

Richard thinks that they are separate entities for a reason. Board deals with philosophical issues while DMs deal with performances. If they're the same person it could be difficult to divide the two responsibilities. Although he also says it wouldn't be the worst thing if someone did both of them.

Laura wants to see more of a dialogue between board and DMs. There were some instances this past year where more communication would have been helpful.

Renee has a Q - What's your number one goal for this next year and how will you get there?

Laura's most important thing is being accessible to everyone. Checking in with council to see what they need but also to maybe have office hours. She doesn't want board to be secretive at all. There's a lot of issues with transparency sometimes and she wants to clear that up as best as she can.

Richard wants to cultivate the culture of the band. This should be a place where people want to spend their time. He wants to reach out and try and figure out why people want to come to band. Make a concerted effort to reach out to individuals.

Jenna's Q - How would you integrate the opinions of council at large?

Richard - He wants to be more upfront with the band about board meetings and other meetings like council meetings. Let people know what's being talked about.

Laura - We have made use of polling the band for some serious questions like what events we should go to. Council helps out with that because more people can be brought into the conversation.

Molly's Q - Diversity in the band. How do you get the input from people that aren't as confident speaking up?

Laura - People shouldn't be afraid speaking up about. It's important to identify those personalities so that you can be more approachable.

Richard - One thing to do is be present. Section leaders are always present so some people that are quiet could reach out to the SLs who would then reach out to the Board.

Jimin's Q - What do you do if people express discomfort with Band traditions?

Richard - Traditions are important, but if people feel uncomfortable they should be made to feel welcome. No participation in traditions is a prerequisite for membership.

Laura - Nothing should be forced, everything is voluntary. That includes attendance, outside events, traditions. We want to do whatever we can to accommodate them on a case-by-case basis. It depends on the origin of the discomfort.

Richard closing statement: He'll do everything he can to make this a welcoming, fun place where we can feel comfortable, loved, and appreciated.

Laura's closing statement: It's the friends and connections we'll remember most. She has the experience to make Band a place people will love coming to.

Ben goes to help Adam count votes.

Koosh petitions people to buy coffee mugs. They're $20 and the proceeds benefit everyone in this room. HE SAYS HE'LL AUTOGRAPH ONE!

If you're a new member, we need to get the sweaters back since the new ones were v-necks.

Thirdly, we're selling penn band bumper stickers. You can put them on your computer!

--------

The next president is Laura! Results are in!

------

Aaron Mittleman is nominated for VP.

What did JSS do as VP. You run Zoo Animal Elections, you write field shows, and you run PB decides twitter during elections.

The Twitter account @PBDecides has experienced a coup. Further bulletins as events warrant.

JSS is talking now. In iambic pentameter and rhyme. Not sure how many people can appreciate this. The iambs are falling apart a little... NO it's back. Sort of. Oh no, what rhymes with pitch? Crisis avoided, rhyme maintained.

Aaron is talking: Since he got here, we're the only people he's liked at all. He's been to show writing. He has a beard. What else do you need? Vote for him... if you want. Much laughter.

Questions now.

Spencer's Q - tell me a joke:

Aaron: Knock knock... Abraham Lincoln... You've never heard of Abe Lincoln?

JSS: A woman finds an empty seat in the front row of the Super Bowl. The old man says his wife used to come with him, but she died. The woman asks, no friends or family could come? No, they're all at the funeral. Lot's of reactions.

Koosh's Q - Who's our audience? (People don't realize this is a really old question.)

JSS - We've talked about this a lot. We want people to laugh, even opposing fans. All the censors.

Aaron - Obviously people show up for more than just the band, believe it or not.

Nick's Q - JSS why not run for Pres? Aaron, why wait for floor nomination?

Aaron - I have time.

JSS - I want to help Laura.

Kyle's Q - How to get more people to show up to show writing?

JSS - Free food! Just kidding. Maybe more virtual show writing? But he wants more voices and more people involved.

Aaron - Free food. Talking to the band, showing them bad shows as a warning. Once people come once they're hooked.

Max's Q - What if you're as creative as a cinder block?

JSS - I can speak from personal experience, but what's important isn't people contributing the funniest joke. It's more 40 mins of sifting through the bad stuff to find the gold. We shouldn't promote Communism. So we need people to shoot some stuff down.

Aaron - Cinder blocks are creative, can make many things. Other than that, agree with JSS.

Renee's Q - Legs are wolves question. Classic @DKJ.

JSS - I would get Anna to take my midterm.

Aaron - Poke them with a stick.

Aaron's closing statement: I was put on the spot, but I love you guys.

JSS's closing statement: It's been an honor being VP for the past year; it's the only time people pay attention to us. I would be honored to do this again.


Elections 2016

Ben and Spencer here. It's 6:15 and the calls of "Magic! Magic!" have died down. The hall murmurs in anticipation.

6:15 and Bandos are planning an impeachment. Greer wants to start, begging calls of magic again. Spencer is back from the bathroom.

Ben is now talking about what he does *hint* basically nothing. He claims that it's mostly handling curveballs but no one knows what a curveball is. Ben explains that it's like regular ball but not straight.

(Spencer is projecting.)

Laura is talking. This is her 117th week in the Penn Band. One of the best things is that there's a place for everyone. We're one of the most diverse, welcoming places at Penn and there is no "typical" bando. She loved being on Board as treasurer, working with a lot of people but with some independent responsibilities. Anything important to band is important to her as well. She wants to work closer with Council, to help them grow in their positions, to thrive. The Band would be lost without council. Diversity is a blessing and a curse, and Laura will never let opinions go unheard. She wants to be accessible to the whole band.

We don't really know to run this blog thing. Help please.

Richard now. Richard is running to be your president, not just board and not just council. What does it mean to have a Penn Band experience? The heart of what we are is community -- literally anyone can come here and make music. We're a family. It's a cliche, but it's true, from Greer to freshmen to alumni's kids. This band is a home, a place not to worry about school or work, but a place to make music with people who care about you. He loves us, all of us. Even Travis. His intention is to devote all of his time to band, and he hopes we'll give him the chance to do that: not just to lead, but to provide and push.

Question Time

Matthew asks how you are going to manage your time.

Laura says that she has learned a lot when she was in leadership about that- sometimes you have to put band first. She's learned how to manage her time as Treasurer, like when budgets are due. It's not easy but she'll make time.

Richard says he spends most of his time here- last semester his attendance was around 91%. He's going to miss things for sure just like everyone but he wants to assure everyone that it's a priority.

Ben has a question. As president you get a lot of feedback from people and sometimes it's useful. Other times, people just need to blow off steam. How do you tell the difference between both types of criticism.

Richard says that you need to take a step back. Where is it coming from? What's the context, is it at a party? Maybe wait a little bit to think about it and work through it deliberately, don't make snap judgements.

Laura - It's important to know that sometimes things that are destructive could come from a valid point. You have to ask the question where did that comment come from? You have the ongoing support of the rest of board to work through everything you have to face.

Jeanette has a Q- both of you have been involved in conducting. How do you think that board and DMs should interact? How will the positions interact if they're the same person?

Richard thinks that they are separate entities for a reason. Board deals with philosophical issues while DMs deal with performances. If they're the same person it could be difficult to divide the two responsibilities. Although he also says it wouldn't be the worst thing if someone did both of them.

Laura wants to see more of a dialogue between board and DMs. There were some instances this past year where more communication would have been helpful.

Renee has a Q - What's your number one goal for this next year and how will you get there?

Laura's most important thing is being accessible to everyone. Checking in with council to see what they need but also to maybe have office hours. She doesn't want board to be secretive at all. There's a lot of issues with transparency sometimes and she wants to clear that up as best as she can.

Richard wants to cultivate the culture of the band. This should be a place where people want to spend their time. He wants to reach out and try and figure out why people want to come to band. Make a concerted effort to reach out to individuals.

Jenna's Q - How would you integrate the opinions of council at large?

Richard - He wants to be more upfront with the band about board meetings and other meetings like council meetings. Let people know what's being talked about.

Laura - We have made use of polling the band for some serious questions like what events we should go to. Council helps out with that because more people can be brought into the conversation.

Molly's Q - Diversity in the band. How do you get the input from people that aren't as confident speaking up?

Laura - People shouldn't be afraid speaking up about. It's important to identify those personalities so that you can be more approachable.

Richard - One thing to do is be present. Section leaders are always present so some people that are quiet could reach out to the SLs who would then reach out to the Board.

Jimin's Q - What do you do if people express discomfort with Band traditions?

Richard - Traditions are important, but if people feel uncomfortable they should be made to feel welcome. No participation in traditions is a prerequisite for membership.

Laura - Nothing should be forced, everything is voluntary. That includes attendance, outside events, traditions. We want to do whatever we can to accommodate them on a case-by-case basis. It depends on the origin of the discomfort.

Richard closing statement: He'll do everything he can to make this a welcoming, fun place where we can feel comfortable, loved, and appreciated.

Laura's closing statement: It's the friends and connections we'll remember most. She has the experience to make Band a place people will love coming to.

Ben goes to help Adam count votes.

Koosh petitions people to buy coffee mugs. They're $20 and the proceeds benefit everyone in this room. HE SAYS HE'LL AUTOGRAPH ONE!

If you're a new member, we need to get the sweaters back since the new ones were v-necks.

Thirdly, we're selling penn band bumper stickers. You can put them on your computer!

--------

The next president is Laura! Results are in!

------

Aaron Mittleman is nominated for VP.

What did JSS do as VP. You run Zoo Animal Elections, you write field shows, and you run PB decides twitter during elections.

The Twitter account @PBDecides has experienced a coup. Further bulletins as events warrant.

JSS is talking now. In iambic pentameter and rhyme. Not sure how many people can appreciate this. The iambs are falling apart a little... NO it's back. Sort of. Oh no, what rhymes with pitch? Crisis avoided, rhyme maintained.

Aaron is talking: Since he got here, we're the only people he's liked at all. He's been to show writing. He has a beard. What else do you need? Vote for him... if you want. Much laughter.

Questions now.

Spencer's Q - tell me a joke:

Aaron: Knock knock... Abraham Lincoln... You've never heard of Abe Lincoln?

JSS: A woman finds an empty seat in the front row of the Super Bowl. The old man says his wife used to come with him, but she died. The woman asks, no friends or family could come? No, they're all at the funeral. Lot's of reactions.

Koosh's Q - Who's our audience? (People don't realize this is a really old question.)

JSS - We've talked about this a lot. We want people to laugh, even opposing fans. All the censors.

Aaron - Obviously people show up for more than just the band, believe it or not.

Nick's Q - JSS why not run for Pres? Aaron, why wait for floor nomination?

Aaron - I have time.

JSS - I want to help Laura.

Kyle's Q - How to get more people to show up to show writing?

JSS - Free food! Just kidding. Maybe more virtual show writing? But he wants more voices and more people involved.

Aaron - Free food. Talking to the band, showing them bad shows as a warning. Once people come once they're hooked.

Max's Q - What if you're as creative as a cinder block?

JSS - I can speak from personal experience, but what's important isn't people contributing the funniest joke. It's more 40 mins of sifting through the bad stuff to find the gold. We shouldn't promote Communism. So we need people to shoot some stuff down.

Aaron - Cinder blocks are creative, can make many things. Other than that, agree with JSS.

Renee's Q - Legs are wolves question. Classic @DKJ.

JSS - I would get Anna to take my midterm.

Aaron - Poke them with a stick.

Aaron's closing statement: I was put on the spot, but I love you guys.

JSS's closing statement: It's been an honor being VP for the past year; it's the only time people pay attention to us. I would be honored to do this again.

Elections 2016

Ben and Spencer here. It's 6:15 and the calls of "Magic! Magic!" have died down. The hall murmurs in anticipation.

6:15 and Bandos are planning an impeachment. Greer wants to start, begging calls of magic again. Spencer is back from the bathroom.

Ben is now talking about what he does *hint* basically nothing. He claims that it's mostly handling curveballs but no one knows what a curveball is. Ben explains that it's like regular ball but not straight.

(Spencer is projecting.)

Laura is talking. This is her 117th week in the Penn Band. One of the best things is that there's a place for everyone. We're one of the most diverse, welcoming places at Penn and there is no "typical" bando. She loved being on Board as treasurer, working with a lot of people but with some independent responsibilities. Anything important to band is important to her as well. She wants to work closer with Council, to help them grow in their positions, to thrive. The Band would be lost without council. Diversity is a blessing and a curse, and Laura will never let opinions go unheard. She wants to be accessible to the whole band.

We don't really know to run this blog thing. Help please.

Richard now. Richard is running to be your president, not just board and not just council. What does it mean to have a Penn Band experience? The heart of what we are is community -- literally anyone can come here and make music. We're a family. It's a cliche, but it's true, from Greer to freshmen to alumni's kids. This band is a home, a place not to worry about school or work, but a place to make music with people who care about you. He loves us, all of us. Even Travis. His intention is to devote all of his time to band, and he hopes we'll give him the chance to do that: not just to lead, but to provide and push.

Question Time

Matthew asks how you are going to manage your time.

Laura says that she has learned a lot when she was in leadership about that- sometimes you have to put band first. She's learned how to manage her time as Treasurer, like when budgets are due. It's not easy but she'll make time.

Richard says he spends most of his time here- last semester his attendance was around 91%. He's going to miss things for sure just like everyone but he wants to assure everyone that it's a priority.

Ben has a question. As president you get a lot of feedback from people and sometimes it's useful. Other times, people just need to blow off steam. How do you tell the difference between both types of criticism.

Richard says that you need to take a step back. Where is it coming from? What's the context, is it at a party? Maybe wait a little bit to think about it and work through it deliberately, don't make snap judgements.

Laura - It's important to know that sometimes things that are destructive could come from a valid point. You have to ask the question where did that comment come from? You have the ongoing support of the rest of board to work through everything you have to face.

Jeanette has a Q- both of you have been involved in conducting. How do you think that board and DMs should interact? How will the positions interact if they're the same person?

Richard thinks that they are separate entities for a reason. Board deals with philosophical issues while DMs deal with performances. If they're the same person it could be difficult to divide the two responsibilities. Although he also says it wouldn't be the worst thing if someone did both of them.

Laura wants to see more of a dialogue between board and DMs. There were some instances this past year where more communication would have been helpful.

Renee has a Q - What's your number one goal for this next year and how will you get there?

Laura's most important thing is being accessible to everyone. Checking in with council to see what they need but also to maybe have office hours. She doesn't want board to be secretive at all. There's a lot of issues with transparency sometimes and she wants to clear that up as best as she can.

Richard wants to cultivate the culture of the band. This should be a place where people want to spend their time. He wants to reach out and try and figure out why people want to come to band. Make a concerted effort to reach out to individuals.

Jenna's Q - How would you integrate the opinions of council at large?

Richard - He wants to be more upfront with the band about board meetings and other meetings like council meetings. Let people know what's being talked about.

Laura - We have made use of polling the band for some serious questions like what events we should go to. Council helps out with that because more people can be brought into the conversation.

Molly's Q - Diversity in the band. How do you get the input from people that aren't as confident speaking up?

Laura - People shouldn't be afraid speaking up about. It's important to identify those personalities so that you can be more approachable.

Richard - One thing to do is be present. Section leaders are always present so some people that are quiet could reach out to the SLs who would then reach out to the Board.

Jimin's Q - What do you do if people express discomfort with Band traditions?

Richard - Traditions are important, but if people feel uncomfortable they should be made to feel welcome. No participation in traditions is a prerequisite for membership.

Laura - Nothing should be forced, everything is voluntary. That includes attendance, outside events, traditions. We want to do whatever we can to accommodate them on a case-by-case basis. It depends on the origin of the discomfort.

Richard closing statement: He'll do everything he can to make this a welcoming, fun place where we can feel comfortable, loved, and appreciated.

Laura's closing statement: It's the friends and connections we'll remember most. She has the experience to make Band a place people will love coming to.

Ben goes to help Adam count votes.

Koosh petitions people to buy coffee mugs. They're $20 and the proceeds benefit everyone in this room. HE SAYS HE'LL AUTOGRAPH ONE!

If you're a new member, we need to get the sweaters back since the new ones were v-necks.

Thirdly, we're selling penn band bumper stickers. You can put them on your computer!

--------

The next president is Laura! Results are in!

------

Aaron Mittleman is nominated for VP.

What did JSS do as VP. You run Zoo Animal Elections, you write field shows, and you run PB decides twitter during elections.

The Twitter account @PBDecides has experienced a coup. Further bulletins as events warrant.

JSS is talking now. In iambic pentameter and rhyme. Not sure how many people can appreciate this. The iambs are falling apart a little... NO it's back. Sort of. Oh no, what rhymes with pitch? Crisis avoided, rhyme maintained.

Aaron is talking: Since he got here, we're the only people he's liked at all. He's been to show writing. He has a beard. What else do you need? Vote for him... if you want. Much laughter.

Questions now.

Spencer's Q - tell me a joke:

Aaron: Knock knock... Abraham Lincoln... You've never heard of Abe Lincoln?

JSS: A woman finds an empty seat in the front row of the Super Bowl. The old man says his wife used to come with him, but she died. The woman asks, no friends or family could come? No, they're all at the funeral. Lot's of reactions.

Koosh's Q - Who's our audience? (People don't realize this is a really old question.)

JSS - We've talked about this a lot. We want people to laugh, even opposing fans. All the censors.

Aaron - Obviously people show up for more than just the band, believe it or not.

Nick's Q - JSS why not run for Pres? Aaron, why wait for floor nomination?

Aaron - I have time.

JSS - I want to help Laura.

Kyle's Q - How to get more people to show up to show writing?

JSS - Free food! Just kidding. Maybe more virtual show writing? But he wants more voices and more people involved.

Aaron - Free food. Talking to the band, showing them bad shows as a warning. Once people come once they're hooked.

Max's Q - What if you're as creative as a cinder block?

JSS - I can speak from personal experience, but what's important isn't people contributing the funniest joke. It's more 40 mins of sifting through the bad stuff to find the gold. We shouldn't promote Communism. So we need people to shoot some stuff down.

Aaron - Cinder blocks are creative, can make many things. Other than that, agree with JSS.

Renee's Q - Legs are wolves question. Classic @DKJ.

JSS - I would get Anna to take my midterm.

Aaron - Poke them with a stick.

Aaron's closing statement: I was put on the spot, but I love you guys.