Sunday, November 18, 2007

Commentary on this weekend

Rebecca did a really good job of explaining the busy weekend the Penn Band had, so I won't repeat what she said. However, I'd like to give my thoughts on the experience on the whole.

With three sporting events, one outdoor film session and a couple of "social gatherings," I estimated that I spent at least 20 hours with the band in a 40 hour span. Yeah, that's a lot of bandos.

But even though I never want to hear our drum cadence again, or play land of 1,000 dances (seriously Becca, three times yesterday, not to mention a lot for CBS today?!) I'm glad I spent as much time as I did. The band is really like a family away from home, or whatever lame cliché you want to use, and spending that much time with the band makes you realize how awesome it is.

By doing all the things we did this weekend, we really lived up to our purpose as stated in our Band Constitution:

The purpose of this organization shall be to serve the entire community of the University of Pennsylvania through its support of the University's athletic teams... Its purpose is, moreover, to provide a social atmosphere in which the individual band member's experience at the University is made more meaningful and complete.

While it was a lot of fun supporting the Quakers (even if we can't seem to win a game on the hardwood), equally important is the bond that we create when we come together and play music, cheer, or just hang out at the "band house" on a Saturday night.

So while standing in the rain today for 2 hours sucked, it's the experience that matters.

Of course the downside to all of that is that now I only have Sunday night to do my homework. Oh well.

No comments: