Sunday, November 18, 2007

Three minutes of playtime

It's been quite a band-filled weekend! Yesterday started with the last football game of the season. The senior show was "Survivor: West Philadelphia" and included swimming across the Skullkyl (why is it that I still don't know how to spell that??) as one of the "challenges." I think it went pretty well, although the jokes were quite a bit longer, and I got dizzy from all the do-see-do-ing (yeah, I don't know how to spell that either) my section (the clarinets) was (were) doing for organized chaos. Right after the game, we all ran over to the Palestra to play back to back basketball games. Maybe it was 10 hours of band, but it was worth every minute (especially since it meant that I wasn't doing homework).

Part of the band has started quoting from Spiderman throughout any sporting, social, or other event possible. Right before Peter Parker fights in the cage match pretty near the beginning of his time as Spiderman (although I believe he attempts to go by the name "The Human Spider" at the time), his opponent warns him that Parker can't leave, tells him he has "three minutes of playtime," and makes this horrible frightening face. Those are the three or four lines that I think I've heard 20 times (at least) this weekend. Of course, every time it's said, it must be done with all kinds of gestures and facial expressions (most of which I'm convinced are going to give me nightmares). It's really pretty comical at first. I always laugh a little the first time I hear it, but by the fifth or sixth time during a game, it starts to lose something. Even so, it's just one of those band obsessions, much like the theme song to "The Office" that is perpetually stuck in my head--with lyrics sung by Joe, of course (argh). Gotta love it.

Today CBS filmed us at Franklin Field for a documentary of some kind that will be on at the end of the year. Other than the 40 degree weather (with rain!), extra 90 minutes of playing, and random dancing during the cadence, it wasn't so bad. Actually, I have to admit that it was kinda fun, and definitely nice to be (at least somewhat) recognized as a group. But really, I could have done without the fist thrusts. That was just a little too cheesy, in my opinion.

<3

No comments: