Thursday, November 15, 2007

Nah nah nah nah nah, it's the k-l-i-t-z.

So as my first post, I'll give some personal background. I'm a euphonium player in the band and currently a sophomore. I am also a part of Fab Five Gen X, which is pretty much five guys who try to keep the band entertaining (we're the ones who took our shirts off at rehearsal yesterday that Rebecca previously posted).

While I love the music of the band, I think equally important is just our participation in the crowds at the sporting events. That's why over the last few days we've had a discussion on our email listserv about cheering at the games. While I won't get into the stupid arguments going back and forth (which I know I started), I will say this. Chanting/cheering is a key aspect of the band, especially considering we're not allowed to play our instruments while the ball is in play. Thus, I think everyone in the the band that wants to, should be able to cheer however loudly they want, as long as the cheers are clean. (Although cursing in cheers is a whole separate issue.)

That's why I was slightly disappointed when I heard that a couple of people in the percussion section had "threatened" my boy Joe "I'm from NYC, don't mess" Catania if he continued chanting all the time. Come on guys, he's just trying to have fun and support our Quakers. And considering the bleak outlook of our teams this year, they can use all of the vocal support possible.

No comments: